Employment Opportunities for US citizens and permanent residents

GSD students have the option to pursue employment while they are in school.  However the availability of jobs can vary based on the individual student's situation. Many employers, though certainly not all, prefer to hire students who have received Federal Work-Study (for US citizens or permanent residents) as part of their financial assistance because it subsidizes the hourly pay rate.
Work-study job opportunities are often posted on the Student Announce listserv as well as on the jobs database.

Career Services posts available jobs on CREATE; open positions at the GSD are often emailed through the Student Announce listserv. Wherever you find job listings, be sure to note whether the job requires work-study or not.
All students should ask about any employment restrictions before accepting a job.

US students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study and are ready to sign up for their job(s) should visit the for more details.

Employment Opportunities for International Students

福建体彩网-足球比分网International students do not have access to a financial aid based work award program, but employment opportunities may still be available.

If you are interested in working while in attendance you should review the employment information and restrictions on the website.

Similar to student seeking work study employment, international students should review the Student Announce listserv, the , and the CREATE website. As long as a position is not specifically slated as work study only you should be able to apply.

There are two additional employment benefits for students:

  • (OPT) is a benefit for F-1 students to work off-campus in a field directly related to their major area of study
  • (CPT)  is a type of employment authorization allowing employment that is related to the student's major field of study and is also an integral part of an established curriculum

Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN)

As an international student you might need to apply for an. The ITIN is required for international students who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) but are receiving grants, fellowships and scholarships from Harvard.  Please visit the (HIO) for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much of my work-study award is remaining/available for use?

福建体彩网-足球比分网A. You can calculate how much of your work-study award remains by subtracting your total earnings for the academic year (starting in July and ending in May) from the initial amount awarded.

Q. I forget how much my work-study award was to begin with. How do I find this information?

A. Ask the Financial Aid Office for more details.

Q. How do I find out how much work-study I have already used?

A. You should be able to look up your earnings to date by logging into the  system. If you are unable to utilize PeopleSoft,please contact your payroll coordinator.

Q. Can I request more work-study funds?

A. You can inquire as to the status of work-study increases by contacting the Financial Aid Office福建体彩网-足球比分网 . We normally review our work-study budget in February to determine whether increases will be available for the remainder of the academic year.

Q. I have a work-study position, how do I fill out the Work-Study Referral card?

A. The is available on the  site.  Ask your payroll coordinator if you need further guidance.


Version 1.11.13